Dental Joint and Bite Evaluations in Rochester NY
Jaws are an important part of the human body: they help us chew and speak. But some jaws don't perform as well as others. If your jaw constantly feels sore and painful, you should see a dentist for an evaluation.
Dr. Skeels offers bite evaluations in Rochester, NY to pinpoint any problems. One of the most common jaw issues is TMD, which means the TMJ is misaligned. The TMJ, or temporomandibular joint,connects your jaw to your skull and helps your jaw move. Problems with the TMJ can cause pain and difficulty opening your mouth.
Symptoms of TMD
TMD can come on suddenly after a car accident, or it can develop because you clench or grind your teeth.
If you have TMD, you might experience one or more of the following:
- Pain in the jaw, face, neck,and/or shoulders
- Facial swelling
- Clicking and popping sounds when you open or close your mouth
- Jaw sticking
- Difficulty chewing
When you visit Dr. Skeels for bite evaluations in Rochester, NY, he will look closely at your jaw and teeth and feel your jaw joints to notice any tender areas. He will ask you to bite as you normally would so he can evaluate the functionality of your TMJ and listen for any popping or clicking sounds. He may also take an X-ray so he can more closely examine your jaw.
If Dr. Skeels determines you have TMD, he may recommend one or more of the following treatments:
- Mouthpieces. Dr. Skeels and his staff will design a mouth piece that fits over your teeth to prevent clenching and grinding.
- Medicine. Dr. Skeels may recommend that you take mild pain relievers or muscle relaxants.
- Dental work. In some cases, correcting missing or misplaced teeth can improve your bite.
- Therapies. If you have severe TMD, Dr. Skeels may recommend wearing a splint. In some cases, he may recommend surgery.
If you need bite evaluations in Rochester, NY,call us today at (585) 467-7000.